Thursday, September 22, 2011

Identity

Our class readings were really interesting, I found. I especially enjoyed them because they dealt with the issue of identity. This is something that I have always pondered. I shared an anecdote today in class and at the risk of being crude, to steal a line, I shall repeat myself.
I am American born and raised but my father's family is from southern Germany. Since they immigrated, they have remained 100% German. Growing up, our Christmases were full of German tradition. My father lost much of the language because his father fought for the US in WWII and would not allow German to be spoken. I have always felt a deep connection with the language. The words are, after all, the words that my forefathers spoke to express themselves. I have always had something in me that wanted so much to make those sounds and scribe those symbols. It was essential that I learn and retake this part of who I am. So, I did. I studied German very intensely and even took a semester at the University in Berlin. I loved every second of it. I finally felt like I had connected with my roots.
Last summer, while in southern Germany, I was with friends. I was declaring proudly that I was German through and through. I could speak the language. I understood the history and customs. I enjoyed every facet of life there; from waking to falling back asleep. One night, while having a drink or two (as we Germans do), I overheard a conversation about "stupid America." Spurred on by the liquid bread, I shocked myself by turning around and getting in the speaker's face. I was American again, through and through. It was odd.
My point is, I think that identity can be very volitile. It depends on the situation, sometimes.
I also feel that the way the communication works in this "globalized" era has so much to do with the marketing of identity. Are we not reminded daily that we are American? We see ads about political candidates. We see ads and hear news reports about our soldiers advancing and protecting our interests abroad. We are reminded in very subtle ways that we are Americans. It's not out and out propoganda. It's not something that dismisses other identity sources, but it does seem to hold its own agenda (again - not that that's a bad thing, necessarily).
I am only one guy, though. So let me know other ways in which you might think this "marketing" has permeated your mind. Or let me know I'm wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,

    You raise an interesting point about identity. It seems as if the media makes it hard for one to totally detach themselves from the existing culture being marketed. Even if we were born in another country, you closely relate to the ideals, beliefs and norms of the environment you've lived in the longest.

    I have many friends living in America that were not born here. Many of them are critical of U.S media that depicts America as being a global power. While they enjoy the freedoms of living in America, I think they have a right to be critical to media in the U.S. that is not culturally sensitive. These students can contribute to the conversation and help provide a fair and balanced approach to the media. Their opinions and insight should be gladly accepted.

    ReplyDelete