Monday, November 21, 2011

Meme's for Social Action


We've talked quite extensively in class about network theory and how it applies to the Internet, and also meme's. The notion of things going viral, while most of the time this applies to funny cat pictures  recently there have been meme's that is gaining more attention. The meme is in reference to the recent pepper spraying of U.C. Davis students by campus police. The whole incident was recorded by a student and shows the officer spraying students, seated, in protest. Regardless of where you may stand on this issue there is no doubt that this image has taken off and gone viral. News organizations like NPR and The Week have written excellent articles on the meme and its implications. A lot of class discussion revolves around the power of the Internet as a network and meme's. I feel this is an obvious  example of how meme's can promote social change or commentary, not just cats and Justin Bieber. 

Some argue that the incident should not be trivialized in such a way, or that this meme is making fun of the whole situation; but I believe that it is the opposite. Some of the meme's provide interesting commentary on this and are often composed of tranquil people being pepper sprayed--begging the question, what was their crime? What were the protesters? I believe people are more likely to read up on the what actually happened after seeing this meme.

This also reminded me a lot of the reading by Bingchun Meng From Steamed Bun to Grass Mud Horse: E Gao as alternative political discontent on the Chinese Internet. While the U.S. does experience the same level of censorship (yet). I think using humor as a tool for political discourse, is truly power. Just like  E Gao this appeals to a large audience, serves a point of discussion, and is easily adapted to make different point. As the meme is put out to pasture with other LOLCatz, I hope the message will have a lasting effect. 


2 comments:

  1. I would just like to say that this police guy with the pepper spray is the first "meme" I've ever successfully caught onto. I agree with what you're saying here, it is the sheer outrageousness of the act that makes it funny- the fact that people are joking about it means that it is forever engrained in our minds that this guy was a jerk who crossed a line. If I were a cop with pepper spray (which I actually got for my birthday from my brother, who, I suspect, really just wants me to experiment so he knows how effective it is) I would definitely think twice about spraying people sitting around while other watch with cameras.

    I think people have made light of serious situations to make points for a long time- jokes are a way for people to come together about something- hence the popularity of shows like The Daily Show and the Colbert Report. I can remember being a kid and watching a SNL skit about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski- talk about wrong. But it works, and it allows us to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm torn about this one, Ginnie. I do think that there is a bit of an overreaction here. First, police who are authorized to use pepperspray and tasers first have to feel what it's like themselves. I don't think this officer did this without regard for the effect. Second, this student's film doesn't capture everything leading up to the incident. We have no idea, from this image, what the situation was. What laws had the students broken to encourage this? Had there been signs of violence earlier that made the cops tense? We just can't tell.
    I think things like this are mostly for the stuff of late-night comedy routines. Let SNL and Leno do five minutes on it. I just think that there may be some more serious issues at hand. Hey, at least there were no rubber bullets.

    ReplyDelete